Preparatory Course for Local Craft Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate of Competency
This course aims to provide complementary nautical knowledge to those who has been prepared for the examination of Grade 2 Coxswains Certificate in Marine Department, HKSAR. Alternatively, the course also targets to those candidates who intends to enrich their nautical knowledge for the safe navigation in Hong Kong Waters.
Those who successfully complete this course should be able to undertake the examination of Grade 2 Coxswains Certificates conducted by the Marine Department, HKSARG and acquire the core knowledge of nautical studies in accordance with the Chapter 7.2 of “Examination Rules for Local Certificates of Competency” issued by the Marine Department.
The candidate also be guided to implement safety awareness as required by International Regulation for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (COLREGs) and relevant HK Merchant Shipping Ordinances, which include, but are not limited to:
- keeping proper lookout on navigation watch
- ensuring professional standard of “Officer-in-Charge” of navigation
- observing the practices of COLREGs
- acquaint the knowledge of Chart work and seamanship practices
- observing marine local knowledge and relevant regulations
- possessing the knowledge of stability, cargo stowage and ship handling
- enhancing emergency response on life-saving at sea with proper distress procedures
- ensuring that navigation equipment is properly operated, tested, calibrated and maintained
Any person who intends to take the Grade 2 Coxswain Examination or interests to enhance the knowledge of ship safety and safe navigation in Hong Kong Waters.
- Local Knowledge, Pilotage & Port Regulations
- Ship Stability
- Seamanship & Shiphandling
- Chart Work & Pilotage
- Collision Regulations, Buoyage & Emergencies
- Revision & Mock Examination
#This preparatory course is included in the pre-approved list of the "Professional Training and Examination Refund Scheme" under the Maritime and Aviation Training Fund (MATF) of the Transport and Housing Bureau. Under the Scheme, successful applicants will be refunded 80% of the fees for completing pre-approved courses/examinations, subject to a cap of $18,000.
A Certificate of Completion will be issued to students who have successfully completed the course.
- Register online.
- A cheque (payable to The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) should be mailed to “Room CD402, CY Tung International Centre for Maritime Studies, Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong”. Please specify “Application for Grade 2 LCC” on the envelope.
- Successful applicants will receive an official notification one week before course commencement.
16 September 2016